9.23.2010

Maybe minimalist

The other day I gave two of my fanciest (they were inexpensive, come on, I'm not a Rockefeller) necklaces to Cole, because she can wear dramatic jewelry sensationally and I can't. I don't know how to make it work. I look at pictures of layered necklaces, of chunky stones, of long pearl strands, of glimmering rhinestones, and I drool, and then I try them on and look like a clown. So they are having a much better time up in Washington Heights with her than they were in my jewelry box gathering dust.

I think maybe I might be a simple jewelry kinda gal. Most days I only wear my wedding and engagement rings. I have three necklaces that I occasionally rotate: a simple gold sunflower charm from Etsy, a birthday gift from my sis; a pearl-and-peridot drop necklace, my first jewelry gift from Chris (it's our birthstones); and a teeny vintage seed pearl on a gold chain that I bought in St. Michael's with my mom for $5. They are simple, and seem to work better on me than anything ornate.

Now I'm looking at the bracelets on Miranda Kerr in this picture, and starting to feel like I'm finding my jewelry style.

Via the beautiful blog Aubrey Road.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. I always covet the layered/piled look and just can't pull it off. (Same concept with ruffle-front shirts.) I think it's long necks -- there's just too much empty real estate between the statement and the face, it looks like a mistake.

    Simple jewelry all the way!

    ReplyDelete