9.02.2010

Tastes differ, but here's what not to wear

Apparently, it is fall fashion week here on pretty bird, or at least, it's fall fashion week in my head. So by now you've picked up on the trends I'm loving--rich, chunky knits; whiskey-colored riding boots; delicate prints--and to that list I can add--military accents, rich camel colored items, Mad Men-esque ladylike dressing, cropped pants, high waisted wide-leg/flare denim, and lush textures like tweed, cordoroy (a word I can never spell), silk, wool, cashmere, and soft knits.

Here are the Fall '10 trends I (so far) cannot get behind:

Skinny cargo pants. Yep, regular cargo pants are not flattering, but NEITHER ARE THE SKINNY ONES. How 'bout you invest in an olive green jacket and get your military groove on that way. Any pants with a bulky pocket on that part of your thigh just aren't meant to make you look good.

Fur. For about two seconds last fall I thought to myself, maybe I'll find a vintage fur or faux fur hat and pretend I'm Lara from Dr. Zhivago...but you know what, even if it's not a recent kill, I just can't embrace wearing fur, even faux fur because it seems to send the same message. I realize I'm a hypocrite because I wear leather and eat meat. I don't know--is there an excellent alternative to leather? Because fake leather feels disgusting and PVC is made with bad chemicals. Whereas with fur, you can wear wool or a puffy coat and get the same warmth. So that means that wearing fur is a purely decorative thing. And that doesn't quite sit right with me, no matter how luxe it looks in a J. Crew catalog.

That being said, I'm even more of a hypocrite because I do want a leopard print belt. Maybe that doesn't count because it's inspired by beauty in nature, and not actually taken from a leopard? Also, just want to clarify that I'm not criticizing anybody else. I think it's a personal decision.

Wearing camel/beige/tan from head to toe.

Chunky sweaters over a chunky full skirt. I don't know, even if you're feeling bloated it seems to me that you don't want to make yourself look quite that WIDE.

I'm sure there are more, but feel free to add to this list :) Cole, I already know how you feel about j***ings.

1 comment:

  1. mother f*cking jeggings! huh! can we not destroy something as beautiful as language just to make a fashion point? why is there a necessary dichotomy between intelligence and beauty? smart answer: THERE ISN'T UNLESS YOU ARE AN IDIOT! ugh.

    i would even care if people just wanted to leave them as they are but just call them denim leggings. you assholes! ugh. i can't.

    ReplyDelete