7.10.2010

Kept the receipt

For my birthday, for the first time ever I got a gift card to Anthropologie. With some birthday cash from my grandma in the envelope as well, I headed to the store this afternoon.

Even though my weakness at Anthro (via the website, as I really can't afford to buy things in real life) are the neutral, lacy, creamy tops and the silk printed blouses that would rack up a separate fortune in dry cleaning bills, I made a rule for myself that I had to splurge on a statement piece rather than choosing sale rack tank tops. I have two weddings to attend the weekend after next, so in the absence of any skirts or cardigans that I fell in love with, I tried on several dresses.



















Too housewifey


















Too arm-ey and hip-py


















This is the one I loved on the website, but again: I felt too hausfrau in it. I don't even know what that word actually means. Basically, I felt all beefy arms and wide hips. Pretty colors, though.


















This one was really pretty. I might watch it to see if it ever gets marked down a lot a lot. What made me eventually put it back was less the narrowness of the pencil skirt and more the worry about the sweat stains in the silk top. Hey, I'm being honest here!


















I am absolutely in love with this shirt but I could NOT justify spending $68 on a knit tee, even if it was $68 gift card dollars. Still, if it ever goes down to $40...I lurved it.


















This is the one I stunned myself by getting. I know, right? I mean, I know I'm a stripe monster, but when I think of Anthro I think of watercolor florals. Plus, preppy much? But I loved the way it looked on me. And it has pockets! So, should I keep it? What do you think? Vote now. Here's another photo:





















(That's obviously not me, but I wouldn't say no to that wallpaper, that's for sure.)

4 comments:

  1. Love it. Keep it. Laura it up with some non-preppy shoes and a vintage necklace. And bring a girly cardi. This dress could easily frolic between art deco cool chick and Hamptons socialite. Once more, Love it. Keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it. It's perfect for summer weddings, switch the shoes and add a cardi and wear it to work. And if you love it and feel good in it, you'll wear it more than something that only looks good on the hanger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose if I avoid wearing it with pink I won't look too New England boarding school :) Thanks, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend has this dress in pink and navy and i haven't yet thought of an occasion that she can't wear it to...including a polo match. so perfect.

    ReplyDelete