10.11.2010

Please weigh in

Okay guys, pardon the awful phone pictures. I'll spare you the boot hunt details to which M. and C. have been privvy, probably to to their chagrin (entering week #6!).

Option #1: Franco Sarto Panko. They zip up, but just barely (see that cuff? My leg is bulging out over it). I'm not sure they can get stretched because there's a decorative buckle that snaps (again just barely) over the zipper. However, I do like them. They are not quite as tall in the shaft as Option #2....and I'm worried I couldn't get them stretched to wear over jeans because of the snap. They definitely won't fit over jeans as is. But, if they could be stretched, they'd be super elegant and tough at the same time ... That zipper goes on the outer shaft, not inner, in case you're wondering.


Option #2: Lucky Brand Andria. These don't have a zipper, which was my requirement for spending three digits on a pair of long-sought riding boots. However, they pulled on and off easily, to my surprise and delight. They are also surprisingly tall (I'd give 'em a solid 17" inch shaft estimate, which is very VERY hard to find--trust me--I've been looking). The toe is rounder than the Franco Sartos, which is more of an almond shape. Question is, without a zipper, are they too bulky in the ankle to wear with dresses? Or is that okay and Frye-like?
Please ignore my outfit, especially my hideously unflattering jeans, which I have now traded in at Gap for a 30% off pair of their delightfully cut 1969 Curvys.

Update: here's another photo of the Lucky Brands. See? Bulky. But comfy! You can tell which way I'm leaning which is why I need you people to honestly tell me if I'll look like a clodhopper in them.

10 comments:

  1. I like #2! For a better shot of the boot, try http://www.luckybrand.com/Andria-Boot/LBA00793,default,pd.html?cgid=womensShoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote for #1 seems to have disappeared - did you delete it on purpose to swing the vote ahem? I like the new picture of #2 a lot though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, no, I didn't delete it :) I never got it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I think you guys are missing the bulging flesh in #1. I need to figure out how to draw on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both - the second may be a little harder to wear with a skirt, I think. But they are both really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to send the first pair back. Every time someone voted for it my heart sank--which is probably a sign! I'd love them if they were a tiny bit taller and a whole bunch looser.

    Still thinking about #2. :)

    Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you already know my argument for the second boot and the mathematical equation that went with it (yes, ladies, i do math when it is used to rationalize shopping) but just for the sake of you having a count in one place i still say you wear them both with dresses but i wouldn't bother with any pair you can't also wear with jeans. that said i think the philosohpicaldebate here is: to cobble or not to cobble? that is the question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been searching for the perfect pair of knee-high boots for my entire life. I wish I were kidding. I still look, but I have basically resigned myself to this:

    When I am a millionaire, I am going to take the Tom Waits song "God's Away on Business" to a cobbler and have her make me the most perfect pair of feminine shit-kicking boots that ever existed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Chinese Laundry boots because they typically have more calf room and the price tag doesn't hurt as much!

    http://www.chineselaundry.com/products2.cfm/ID/1212/c/all-boots/attr1/3915

    ReplyDelete